Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Primary School
School Uniform Checklist 2022 - 2024
The Governing Body of Our Lady of Lourdes requires that all pupils wear the prescribed uniform (as detailed below) because we feel that uniform ties the pupils together and shows that we are one family. Uniform is an equaliser and as such all pupils are expected to wear the uniform.
The Governors have items of uniform with our school logo. Some of these are compulsory and some are optional. We have minimised the number of compulsory logo items (in line with Government guidance) to allow parents a greater range of options for sourcing clothing. The table at the end of the document will show compulsory and optional logo elements.
This list is the uniform of the school and if an item of clothing is not listed then it is not uniform and should not be worn. By seeking admission or by sending your child to Our Lady of Lourdes you are also agreeing to support the policies of the school including adherence to the prescribed uniform code.
Uniform List – Winter Uniform to be worn from September to Last Day of Spring Term each year
- Ocean blue sweat shirt or cardigan with our school logo/badge (the school badge with two lions at the base of the badge only – this is only available from Clive Mark)
- Grey flannel school skirt, culottes or trousers
- White shirt (long or short sleeves) for KS2 and any pupil in KS1 who wants to wear one. KS1 and EYFS may wear a white polo shirt
- School Tie (from Year 3 only – NOT the elasticated version, it must be a proper school tie and must be worn with the school white shirt at all times). If Year R, 1 or 2 choose a collared shirt it also needs a tie so consider carefully if a polo shirt is a better option while they are in younger classes
- White, grey or black socks or tights
- Black sensible shoes (no trainers allowed, no heels allowed, no over ankle boots allowed)
- Wellington boots (required for outdoor activities and Forest School work)
- Long hair in a plait, bun or pony tail/s at all times to minimise exposure to head lice (hair ties and bows in blue, black or white – no fashion hair bows except on theme days or non-uniform days) – please note that hair rules apply equally to boys and girls
- Blue School Book Bag required for all children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 & Year 4 (available to buy from the school). Pupils do not need another bag and rucksacks in these classes will be sent home or stored elsewhere – they are just too large to store safely. Pupils in Year 5 and 6 may have either a school Reading Book Bag or a Rucksack
- Blue School PE Bag (available to buy from the school) or you can provide your own
- Blue/Yellow School Cap to be worn on school visits and during the school day in hot weather (these are provided for each child in Year R - Year 6 free of charge, Nursery pupils may wear their own hats)
Uniform List - Summer Uniform (Optional from the 1st Day of Summer Term only)
- Royal blue gingham dress or culottes
- White polo shirt instead of formal collared shirt (school badge on polo shirt or plain)
- Grey short trousers (must be to the knee/boys or girls)
- Pupils may stay in winter uniform if they choose to do so
- Blue/Yellow School Cap to be worn on school visits and during the school day in hot weather (we do not allow fashion caps or football team caps)
PE kit (Please remember that PE is a compulsory part of the National Curriculum and all pupils are expected to take part. Safe PE requires the following kit…)
- Black slip-on plimsolls for indoor PE (dance/gymnastics) & trainers for outdoor PE (Games, athletics)
- White t shirt (Clive Mark sell a version with our school badge if you wish but you may use any plain white T Shirt instead)
- Blue or black shorts (no other colours allowed and no football team shorts)
- Swimming costume/trunks/towel from Year 2 for swimming lessons (swimming is compulsory from Year 2 at OLOL) – we do not mind design but bikini/tankini suits are not allowed
- Goggles for swimming are optional
- Blue or black tracksuit bottoms allowed in winter months (November to February only) - no football or fashion clothing allowed
- Blue/Yellow School Cap to be worn in hot weather (provided by the school) – no other fashion caps are allowed
Children lose items of clothing with disturbing regularity. We expect OLOL children to look after their belongings in all classes. You can help us by ensuring that you label all items of clothing with labels that can be sewn in. You may choose the labels you write on with biro, but this does wash out within weeks and most jumpers are lost within the first 10 weeks of school.
The school accepts no responsibility for loss of uniform unless that loss is as a direct result of negligence on the part of the school – all items of uniform misplaced by pupils will be placed in lost property for two terms only. It is the responsibility of the pupil to look after their jumpers and cardigans.
No jewellery allowed including earrings (no studs and no earring retainers)
- Children may wear a watch (but not a smart watch with internet connectivity)
- Please ensure that you get any ears pierced in the summer holidays to allow enough time for the hole to remain open without retainers
- Pupils that wear earrings to school will be asked to remove them or you will be telephoned and asked to come and remove them
Make Up Rules
No nail polish or make up is allowed
- Pupils arriving in make up or nail polish will be asked to remove it and will be provided with materials to do so
Hair Style Rules
No extreme haircuts are allowed for boys or girls
- If the Head Teacher deems the haircut to be extreme you will be asked to rectify it at the hairdresser/barber or your child will be isolated until it grows out – please note that this is not a matter for debate, appropriate hairstyles are part of the agreed uniform policy and as such parents are required to support the school in applying that policy
- It is recommended that boys do not have a number 1 or less on their hair and do not cut designs/tram lines into their hair to avoid being isolated in break times
- Boys and girls may have long hair but the rules about long hair being tied (plait/bun/pony tail) also apply to both
- Pupils are not allowed to colour their hair during term time and any colours added for fun etc. must be gone before pupils return to school
Items of Uniform with School Logo
Compulsory Logo Item
Optional and Available Logo Item
- OLOL School Cardigan or Jumper with school logo – this item is only currently available at Clive Mark
- OLOL School Reading Bag
- OLOL PE T Shirt
- OLOL Polo Shirt (work as EYFS and KS1 main uniform and KS2 summer uniform)
Preferred but not Compulsory Logo Item
Your child can have any similar style PE bag – they should not use a rucksack for PE kit as they are too large for us to store
| || |
| || |
Where to buy OLOL uniform?
OLOL logo items can be purchased at Clive Mark in Kings Heath. Book bags and PE bags can be purchased from school at a cheaper price than Clive Mark. Here is the link to the OLOL page of their website https://clivemark.co.uk/collections/our-lady-of-lourdes-catholic-pri - parents can order online or at the store.
Most uniform staples, as mentioned above, can be purchased at George at Asda, Tesco's and Sainsburys. We
Each year we have opportunities throughout the year for donated and second hand uniform to be shared with parents (we will advise you of this in school newsletters). At the end of each school year, we send pre-loved uniform looking for a new home to the Rubery Swop Shop (https://www.ruberyswopshop.co.uk/schools) if parents want to be more sustainable and get some perfectly good, second hand logo uniform items.